Sunday, February 19, 2012

Own: Grown-Up Spring Break Travel Bag

AHHH Just two more weeks until my much anticipated grown-up Spring Break trip out to Nicaragua!!  When I was in college, Spring Break was all about going out, drinking, partying, dancing on table tops, making eyes at boys and sleeping in only to do it all again the next night.  Now that I've...um...matured?...Spring Break is all about experiencing true relaxation Nirvana.  I want to sit under a tree in a hammock somewhere and nap after an incredible afternoon of gorging myself on local delectables on a boat.  Is that too much to ask?  We'll find out!

Since I was a wee child traveling with my parents to New York, I was always told I couldn't bring everything I wanted when we traveled.  No, I couldn't bring all five of my favorite stuffed animals, I had to choose two.  Little did I know at that age that it was training me to pack- how much to pack and what to pack when I traveled.  Thanks Mom and Dad!  All those times that Beary, Fluffers and Booboo got left behind were for a greater good.  I see it now.

So, all that being said, I plan to only be packing my favorite bikinis, cover ups and some dancing shoes for my trip.  That means I should be able to fit everything into a duffle bag and not have to check any luggage! Woop woop!

Now, we need to address the duffle bag that I've had for years now.  Remember Vera Bradley?  Well if you grew up in the south, of course you do, but if you didn't, let me introduce you to the wonderful world of regrettable, non-durable fabric duffle bags.  The pattern that I had?  This one:


The lovely Seaport Navy pattern.  The duffle bag was gifted to me by my dad when I was a freshman in college. What was once shiny and new is now old and dirty.  The cotton fabric just doesn't hold up well for travel and is in no way waterproof (DUH) so it's time for an upgrade.  I don't need something that's waterproof or super durable, per say, but MAN do I need something that is updated.  I've totally outgrown this oddly cult-like southern prep thing that (which included but was not limited to Ralph Lauren Polos, khaki shorts, Rainbows and Croakies) and I want something that feels more like it's mine!  Something simplier...like one of these?

I really dig this simple military-ish style.  It's kind of vintage without trying too hard.  This one is by Alternative.

While kind of utilitarian, I find myself really drawn to this simple L.L. Bean one.  It's classic and probably very durable.


This mint green is mezzzzmerizing from Herschel Supply Co

It also comes in a very cute red.



What do you think?  I know they aren't that exciting, but hey, you need what you need, right?  Well, maybe need isn't the right word...but you know what I mean. :)



No comments: