Friday, January 20, 2012

Own: Some Lucky Red for the New Year

As American as I may be now, I was raised in a Chinese household and I fight every day to try to keep my culture alive on my own.  I don't ever still wish I was living at home (though I love both my parents a ton!), but I  do wish that I had a mini version of my mom in my pocket to remind me of traditional Chinese things (like how to order the dishes I love at Chinese restaurants and how to make that wine chicken that I love so much) so that I could continue to make it a strong influence in my life.

Alas...I'm young and impressionable and sometimes I can feel parts of my culture slipping away...so sad.  BUT I always remember Chinese New Year and it's a tradition every year to wear red on Chinese New Year because it's supposed to bring you luck (which I need boatloads of on a daily basis)!  Red isn't my favorite color, but I think there are lots of ways out there to make it work.

 
Wear it mixed in with a print!  I love this American Retro dress.  Wearable with maybe a lacy black top underneath and simple enough that you can dress it up with some chunky jewelry like this Eddie Borgo necklace (MORE TURQUOISE <3 <3).

Since it's cold outside, put on a cardigan.  A fuzzy one.

Go Merlot!  While it's not bright-popping red, it's still red (kind of...).  I love this LA Made cowl neck maxi dress.

Paired with some great earrings.  Like these feathery ones!

Make it sheer!  Now THIS is what I call red.  Whatever bra you wear underneath, make sure it's a sexy OPAQUE one.  You don't want a nipple slip on New Years!


Wouldn't be complete without something Hello Kitty.  Like this bracelet.  Ahhh she's even winking here!

All affordable and all very red!  Happy Chinese New Year to you all!  Here's to the year of the Dragon.  Oh yeah and happy Friday (might mean more to some of you than Chinese New Year!).

2 comments:

Meghan said...

Likin your Blog R. I'm actually driving to Houston to visit my Vietnamese uncle to celebrate the new year.....and dragging my baby w/ me to "Force" myself to remember my heritage and introduce it to her as well. While I was packing today-- i made sure we both had red outfits...& my traditional vietnamese ao dai. I'm glad you want to keep your heritage alive as well.

Ogle, Obsess, Own. said...

Thanks for reading Megs! Wow to Houston! That's a long trip! Drive safe and Happy Lunar New Year! :)