Sunday, November 13, 2011

Own: Unique Denim

Now that the cold weather is really coming, no pair of leggings is going to keep my legs as warm as jeans will.  However, ever since skinny jeans became the thing, I haven't really worn blue denim.  There's nothing wrong with blue jeans- I just feel like, for my style, they're a little too casual.  My go-to is really a pair of skinny black jeans.  Sounds kinda boring, right?

Yeah, it does.

So, with that conclusion drawn, a friend and I took to Bloomies in search for perfect pants.  Did we find them?  Well, yeah, of course we did.  They have so many pairs of jeans at Bloomies that it's almost (almost) impossible to walk out of the denim area without a pair in hand.

Major department stores can sometimes be a little overwhelming.  Masses of people all looking for a deal and a lot of wait time for dressing rooms is pretty standard fare.  There are a few things that you can do to avoid a really unpleasant experience:

1) Make friends with a salesperson.  Be picky, though!  You don't want a commission hungry freak that just follows you around the store telling you that you look cute in everything, even those jeans that you couldn't zip up.  Salespeople know the store well and they know where the shortest line is for a dressing room.  Also, if you forgot that coupon, they will often times honor your discount anyway with or without your coupon.

2) Grab multiple sizes.  If the place is busy, it doesn't really matter how chummy you are with the salesperson.  Just save yourself the trouble of peeking out of your dressing room half naked.  If you're not sure what size you are (a common plight when going denim shopping), then grab a few sizes in the same style so you can get your sizing right.

3) Be daring.  Even if you don't think you'd like it on, if you have the slightest inclination towards it, just grab it!  I don't like to use scare tactics when I shop (telling a friend that if she doesn't take it, I or someone else, will take it), but if you're just going  to try it on, why not just give it a shot?  If you happen to like it, then cool.  If not, leave it.  No harm, no foul.

Anyway, my friend and I employed all these methods and we totally came out on top!  I got my hands on some amazing jeans by Resin:

The fit awesome.  They are mid waist rise with an 11" opening at the leg.  A great alternative to the black jean.  And it still goes with all my black stuff :)

My friend picked up these amazing pants from 7 For All Mankind:

They're a little shinier in person than in this picture, but they are an perfect departure from boring!  The sheen is something that not everyone would be comfortable wearing, but I really think it's all about what you pair with it.  She chose a light, airy ballet pink top and it worked great, but I could also see this with a black tank or a comfy black tunic sweater.  Lots of options!  They look dressy with these heels, but with some combat boots, these are so punk.  AND machine washable!

These didn't make the cut, but I loved them just as much as I loved the Resin pair.  Choices had to be made and these got left behind.  *Tear*

I hope these jeans inspire you to step out of your usual blue jeans!  Though blue jeans will always be a staple in my closet, I think that these jeans can help put a little funk into an otherwise black-only wardrobe (like mine).


No comments: