Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Own: Dresses...lately.

So, I guess I spoke too soon.  Either that or Mother Nature heard all my whining and decided to dump the hot, hot summer on me.  However the heat came to be in NYC, I am thankful!

The city lights up when the sun is running through the streets.  People awaken from hibernation, whether the winter was cold or not.  You can see people rubbing their eyes in disbelief as they emerge on the weekends to find friends day drinking on rooftops in Williamsburg and lounging around Sheep's Meadow in Central Park until dusk.  Ayyyy, it's just a lovely time.  LOVELY!

It's also incredibly inspirational for fashionites near and far.  The sun gives you an excuse to bear that extra bit of skin you were hiding when the weather was only 75 degrees or put on that skirt that you bought back in December.  People leave behind their dumpy cardigans (forgive me, I have yet to meet a cardigan that I didn't think was dumpy) and break out the tanks and the mini skirts and the wedges.  I love it!

I shed my cardigans recently and rocked a couple simpler and less skin bearing dresses to work (SURPRISE!).  As much as I love to show that leg, but sometimes it's ok to keep it under wraps.



This isn't a dress I would usually wear.  When my mom first pulled it out, I could only think to myself...."she wants me to be a Stepford wife....today.  UGH."  But you know what?  I wore it to work the other day and people loved it!  I kept thinking to myself when I walked out of my apartment, "this dress is SO not me" but it turns out that sometimes that doesn't matter.  It's really just about how you rock it.  It was so dainty and ladylike.

I was going to be spending the night at my boyfriend's house and I had nothing to wear.  Out of desperation, I dragged myself into the Gap and was pleasantly surprised by this extremely comfortable maxi dress that will get lots of wear this summer.  Paired with a pair of my mom's old school hoop earrings, it was perfect.

The summer is young.  Get out there and try on a little something new.  Wear something comfortable instead of that next big thing (are bodycon dresses still in?  They are terrible in this weather- read: sweat stains galore).  Enjoy! :)


No comments: