Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Birthday Week: Day 2 Super Ogle, Van Cleef and Arpels Alhambra

In Day 2, the daydreaming continues....with Van Cleef and Arpels.  While I'd love to have everything and anything that is Van Cleef and Arpels, the Alhambra is what I truly covet.

Amazing Rose Gold Bracelet from the Sweet Collection

Diamond Pendant from the Magic Collection (ahhhh it IS SO MAGICAL)

Classic Alhambra necklace from the Vintage Collection


I hate to choose something so cliché, but I've loved this collection from Van Cleef and Arpels for a while...a very long while.  You've seen it- it's the clover wrapped in gold.

Last year, the Cooper-Hewitt National Design Museum featured an exhibit that put years of Van Cleef and Arpels jewels on display.  They were incredibly lavish, uber-decadent and some, even gaudy (it pains me to say that, but it's true).  The bling in that exhibit was SO serious.  They displayed jewels that had been donned by the infamous Elizabeth Taylor and Princess Grace Kelly.  

While the exhibit faced some harsh reviews, I think that I got out of it what was intended- a feeling of amazement and joy seeing all these glittery gems all around me.  It was like I was five again, dreaming of all the beautiful things that princesses had (literally!).  Millions and millions of dollars worth of diamonds, rubies, emeralds, and the like surrounding me- I mean, I don't think there will be another time in my life when I can lay my eyes on such extravagant jewelry.

I think that the Van Cleef and Arpels brand is so beautiful and classy.  So many luxury brands out there have given away their prestige to make an extra buck (Louis Vuitton, Gucci, Fendi..you get the idea), but I feel like Van Cleef and Arpels has been able to keep themselves elevated and maintain a level of luxury that so many brands have sacrificed.  God, that sounded so snobby, but if something is expensive, it should BE expensive.  It should be reserved for those that can afford it not priced at $600 for a fabric bag that can be easily knocked off.  I'm just saying.

Anyways, I'm really starting to like this business of blogging just about crazy things that I can't have.  It doesn't make me want them less, but at least I can get it off my chest.


No comments: