Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Own! New House, New Stuff!

The house scramble has started!  Every summer in the city hundreds of people race from apartment building to apartment building in search of their next home.  Their hopes and dreams are always that it's going to be a cute place with exposed brick, nice natural light, new appliances and has walk in closets.

The reality is that you usually get none of that.  Nice natural light if you're lucky!

Well I was lucky enough to have found an apartment four years ago that had fit my bill.  The apartment has been a lovely place to live, but it's a two bedroom and now my roommate is moving out to move in with her boyfriend (MY GOD, who isn't doing this today?  I feel like everyone is moving in with their boyfriends).  That sent me on a search for an apartment where, for the first time, I would live ALONE.

That's right.  New chapter in life!  That means time to buy NEW STUFF!  Not clothes or shoes (not to say that I won't still buy those things), but new stuff to accessorize my new house.  I use the term "house" loosely here.  My new house will probably be less than 500 sq ft.

Anyway, I've been obsessing over home goods for the last 2 weeks as I imagine what I could turn my new apartment into.  An old french style boudoir?  A fluffy white sanctuary?  A girly bibliotheque-esque cave?!  Pink Palace?!  Wait no.  That's going too far.

Being in between so many styles, here are just a few pieces that I've really just fallen in love with.  Maybe I don't have to fashion my home into any one style category.  I guess they would call that eclectic?  Wait, wait...and how do I what I want and make it affordable??  Let's see what's out there, shall we?


I love this french style chair.  I could totally see it in my apt with a fluffy robe draped over it.


One thing that I've always wanted to avoid is decorating with too much animal stuff.  There will probably be a time in my life when my kitchen will be filled with cow and chicken tchotchkes, but not today! That being said, I still love bunnies and I really live this Bunny wall hook.


Over the years, I've wound up with quite a collection of books.  Now, I need a practical way to display them.  In a small apartment though, I'm going to need a bookshelf to do double duty.  I think this one is perfect!  side table AND books.  DONE.



There will probably be more furniture that I'll need to buy, but I guess to need to make sure I find the right apartment first!  Meanwhile, I'll just conveniently order all these things.  Yay.  More to come...


No comments: