Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Own: My Wedding Gown

When I started my journey to find a wedding dress, I had all kinds of ideas.  I wanted something that was unique.  I wanted something that would wow people.  I didn't want lace.  I wanted to be different.

I went shopping with my mom.  What did she want?  Everything traditional.  She wanted lace.  She wanted strapless.  She wanted a blusher.  She basically wanted everything I didn't want.

I didn't want to change my opinion.  I had this image in my mind and it's what I wanted.  When I got to my dress appointments, I shook my head at the strapless, lace, traditional gowns.  I waltzed right past them on the racks.  I fell in love with a gorgeous Angel Sanchez structured gown.  I felt AMAZING in it.  I had a bridal MOMENT with it- you know, like on Say Yes to the Dress where the bridal is all squeals and bursts into tears of happiness.  Here's that dress:



But, this was not the dress I got married in.  

My mom was insistent- not annoyingly so, but she is my mom and moms know a lot about their daughters (even thought daughters, until the end of time, will deny this).  Also, I am her only daughter and I didn't want to strip her of the right to see her only daughter in a dress that she liked.

The last dress I tried on was her choice- a lacy, strapless, mermaid gown.  She had seen it across the showroom in someone else's dressing room and insisted that I try it on.

I reluctantly put it on and, at first, it didn't seem like anything special.  I didn't even really look at myself in the mirror.  I just walked out.  As I emerged from the dressing room, I watched my mom.  She was speechless and her eyes were full of tears.  My mom's reaction instantly melted whatever image I had in my mind.  I can't even really explain what my heart felt when I looked at my mom.  Her reaction was what I wanted and when I realized this, the image I had in my head really didn't matter anymore.

I realize that this story has gone sappy quickly, but when I think back about my wedding experience, I have the fondest thoughts about it because of the emotional connections I had with my choices.  So without further ado, here's the dress:

 I bought this LACY, STRAPLESS gown by La Sposa.  I felt beautiful on my wedding day.



For the church, I had removable straps added.  Oh, and you know what else?  I wore a veil with a BLUSHER and it was the best decision ever.  I can't even describe to you how special the moment I shared with my dad was when he lifted my veil to give me to my new husband.  All the best decisions made.

Thinking back about the things that I Own, they usually are things that are more classic/timeless/things that I think are worth it.  My wedding dress was really the epitome of that.  I would buy it again.  No regrets.

No comments: