Monday, December 10, 2012

Own: The Yankee Gift Exchange...White Elephant...Whatever!

Getting gifts for people is a stressful affair for me.  I'm completely Obsessed with getting the absolutely, most -perfect, gift possible for each and every person I get a gift for.  So, when I'm confronted with a Yankee Gift exchange (also known as White Elephant), my brain doesn't even know what to think.

What do you mean, "get a generic gift??"  I don't even know how to really do that.  Thus, the birth of this post. I'll admit, it's really for a self-serving purpose that I write this.  I just need to get my ideas out.  I'd even be open to feedback.  I mean, what do you get for a group of guys and girls, especially when you have no idea who's going to be opening your gift?!

Let's venture into this challenge together.

Let's start with the obvious.  Utility.  I want to get something that people will think is useful.  One of the most useful things I think most New Yorkers can agree with is an auto open-close umbrella.  Sounds undesirable, but when you have your hands full of groceries, your gym bag is sliding off your shoulder, and you're trying to open your apartment door on a rainy day, TRUST ME, you'll be glad you have an auto open-close umbrella.  Totes has some that have cute prints and solid colors right in the price range of the gift exchange.

Depending on the friends you keep, gag gifts can get a little tricky (i.e. I have a cousin who received a Dong Bong and, yes, it is exactly what you think it is.  Lucky for the gifter, she thought it was funny), but luckily I have a light-hearted group of friends that's always open to a funny or two.  Mustaches have been everywhere so I want to choose something different.   How about some cupcake floss or some money toilet paper?  Urban Outfitters has an endless array of interesting gifts to brighten up any gift exchange.

Entertainment!  The world has gotten so digital that board games have almost become a relic, but a lot of the fun nights I've had at friends' houses have been playing board games.  Apples to Apples seems to have become a favorite, but if you want something a little more adult, try Cards Against Humanity

Don't want to commit time to a board game?  You can now play passive Scrabble with your roommate with this magnetic version which is pretty brilliant.
Wow guys, thanks for your help.  I've got plenty of ideas now!  Your listening really helped me work this one out.  Happy Monday!

No comments: