Friday, December 30, 2011

Year in Review: Ogled and Obsessed, but left behind in 2011

Ahhhh, what a great year 2011 was.  As good as it was, I'm welcoming 2012 with open arms and leaving some things that I've always obsessed and ogled over in 2011.  I won't look back and these things are going in the time capsule of fashion in my head.  Not to say that I won't still think that they're amazing when someone has them, but I'm not going to want for them anymore (we'll see about that).

1) Cutouts/Mesh Inserts- I once really loved cutouts in dresses, in shirts, in anything, but I'm over it now.  I loved showing off my back with mesh inserts or revealing that little piece of my hip with a cut out dress, but I feel like I've overdone it and now I need to put this trend to rest.  Asos.com, I'll continue to shop you, but you carry an overwhelming number of cutout and mesh insert dresses and I won't be helping you get rid of them even if you are having a 70% off sale.

 
2) Floral Maxi Skirts- I'm not eliminating all maxi skirts from my regular closet rotation, but anything that has a floral print and reminds me of Little House on the Prairie will have to go.  Some girls can really pull this off with their fringe suede purses and cowboy boots, but this won't be me in the near future.  So, sorry floral maxi skirt- you're staying in 2011 with cutouts and mesh.


3) Fancy fanny packs- There was a time that I mini obsessed over this YSL fanny pack.  Even now when I look at it, I still think it's lovely, but let's get real for a second- it's still a fanny pack!  They can call it a "belt bag" all they want, but I am not fooled.  RIP fancy fanny pack!


4) The Vest dress- I'm not going on safari any time soon and I hate the though of someone sneaking a peek at my cute undies through buttons that don't sit flat on my lap when I sit down.  Vest dress, you stay in 2011.


5) Fur- I'm sure some people will disagree with me, but I'm really tired to seeing so much fur around.  At the end of the day, wearing fur is just really inhumane.  Some people will argue that if I eat chicken/beef, it's the same thing because the animals are also not always treated humanely, but hey, people eat chicken and beef. With fur, you're just killing the animals in the name of fashion, which just isn't right.  I have worn fur before, but I'm over it and I won't perpetuate the killing (or sometimes not killing- just taking of fur from live animals) of innocent animals just because we want to wear their pretty fur.  Fur is prettier and much cuter on a living animal.  Plus, I'm really sick of seeing those over-sized fur vests- faux or not!


I don't expect everyone to agree with what I'm leaving behind, but these things have got to go so that I can obsess and ogle over new things in 2012!  Out with the old, in with the new!  I hope you all have a very Happy New Year and see you next year!



No comments: